What should I do if my wallet is lost or stolen?
If your wallet has been lost or stolen, take the following actions:
- Call the three major credit reporting agencies (Equifax: 1-800-525-6285, Experian: 1-888-397-3742 and Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289) and ask them to immediately place a Fraud Alert on your name and Social Security number. The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.
- Notify the SSN national fraud hotline at 1-800-269-0271.
- Cancel your credit cards by calling 800-325-3678
- File a police report the same day, if at all possible, in the jurisdiction where your wallet was stolen.
This answer has been viewed 14 times.
- What should I do if I think I've been a victim of identity theft?
- Who do I contact if my debit/credit card is lost or stolen?